Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Home No. 8: What funds are available for researchers

May 11

No. 8: What funds are available for researchers

Posted by: admin in

Tagged in: Untagged 

Sign Up to receive free weekly articles like these:

Supplemental Funding May Cover Post-Doc Expenses

Reader question: I’m a doctoral candidate in my last years of writing up my research. I’m having a hard time finding funding to support my basic living expenses. A colleague is finding it even more difficult because she is not a U.S. citizen. Where can we turn for assistance?

Expert comments:

If you’re still in someone’s lab, the NIH-funded PI could apply for a supplement that would support you. These additional awards, however, often have eligibility qualifications. For example, many are restricted to under-represented groups, visiting scholars or specific fields of research.

For instance, PA-08-190 — Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research — would be a good place to start. NIH uses the supplement to support and recruit students, post-docs and eligible investigators from minority, gender and other under-represented groups. All NIH institutes and centers participate in this program.

The size of supplements range from less than $5,000 to more than $75,000. The amount is going to depend on the candidate’s career level. The funded PI can request this type of supplement at any time, and it will end when the parent grant ends. Because policies regarding supplements vary among NIH institutes and centers, you should contact the appropriate awarding component prior to submitting an application.

You can search for supplements through the NIH Web site. You may be able to find one that matches your particular situation and then take that information to your advisor. He or she may then be able to apply to help get you the funds you need.

Expert comments by John Ivy, PhD, senior research development officer at Texas A&M; University.

Comments (2)
written by whatsupdoc, May 12, 2011
What are the options for someone not funded by NIH?
written by shortoncash, May 12, 2011
I had one friend tell me to just file for unemployment while I was writing up my results, which I didn't do. Is that really an option? It doesn't sound quite right to me.

Write comment
smaller | bigger

Write the displayed characters